News and Notes:
We could use your input!
Information for new neighbors. CommunityCare of Lyme is working to create an online resource and printable document for our new neighbors, offering a Lymie’s guide to the area. We’d love your feedback on your favorite places for good food and good fun!
NH Senior Leadership Series.
Apply NOW for the NH Senior Leadership Series 2022. A description from the website:
“The New Hampshire Senior Leadership Series is now taking applications for the 2022 class. A collaboration among AARP NH, Center on Aging and Community Living at UNH and Dartmouth Centers for Health and Aging, the program is designed for older adults, caregivers, and family members who want to advocate for older adults in New Hampshire.
The goal of the series is to provide support and training in the advocacy and leadership skills necessary to promote livable communities, including community-based systems of support for Granite Staters as they age.”
Application Deadline: February 11, 2022. To Learn more or apply, visit the website.
February is …
International Friendship Month. As we move to International Friendship month, here are just a few ideas on how you might consider celebrating:
- Make a video containing photos, stories, songs etc. that have meaning for you and your friends. Share it with them through email or social media. (We’d love to see it too! firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Set up a time to reconnect with a friend you haven’t spoken with recently. Meet in person, or schedule a Zoom call.
- Send your friend a Thinking of You note in the mail. Afterall, who doesn’t like seeing a personal card in their mailbox? Much more exciting than another bill! CommunityCare of Lyme has notecards available, and we are warmly welcoming you – our friends and neighbors – to visit us in our cozy living room. Please call to make sure someone is in the office. 603-795-0603
- Attend an event with CCL this month to connect with friends, and meet new ones! We have Galentine’s Day on Sunday, February 13th at 6pm via Zoom, Reiki with Stephanie Carney in the CCL office on Wednesday afternoons, the Food Pantry on Tuesdays and the Foot Clinic on Thursdays. You can also give us a call at any time for warm conversation: 603-795-0603.
Black History Month. This month we’re fortunate enough to collaborate with the Lyme Historians who have so generously shared research and resources about Black History in Lyme. We’ll be sharing posts and information in collaboration with the Lyme Historians, stay tuned throughout the month of February!
You can learn more local history by visiting the Lyme Historian’s Website here: https://lymehistorians.wordpress.com/
You can learn more about Black history in New Hampshire by visiting the Black Heritage Trail NH here:
Bird Feeding Month. In 2021, we offered information on a DIY bird feeder to support our feathered friends during one of winter’s bleakest months. As we prepare for Bird Feeding Month, here are some opportunities to be a citizen scientist and hugely help garner vital information on birds in our area:
- This weekend: February 12th & 13th – Backyard Winter Bird Survey through the NH Audubon. Visit their website to learn more about the survey. You can submit results here, or request a mailed packet for you to fill out and submit. If you need help printing or submitting your survey, please contact email@example.com or 603-795-0603.
- Next weekend: February 18th – 21st – Great Backyard Bird Count this is a global event where you can connect with nature in a safe way, and help gather vital information as a citizen scientist. Their website has tons of resources for birders of all levels of experience, including phone apps to help you most meaningful engage in the bird count. Registration is open for a free Webinar on February 16th at 2pm to support your engagement in the event. Click here to register.
Weekly health and well-being tips, resources, and recipes …
Monday’s Menu. This week I warmly invite you to join me in trying a new recipe from Okonomi Kitchen: Mango Coconut Tofu Curry. Check out this week’s Monday’s Menu here.
If you have an original recipe OR a recipe you have adapted that you would love to share please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to see all the Monday’s Menu recipes.
Wellness Wednesday. With Valentine’s Day around the corner, the staff and Board Members from CommunityCare of Lyme are sharing some ideas on how to practice self-love. See our ideas here, and let us know how you’re planning to show yourself some love this Valentine’s Day. See all Wellness Wednesday posts here.
If you have a wellness topic you would like to share about OR would love to learn more about, please contact email@example.com.
Orford Senior Center February Newsletter
Our partner organization, Orford Senior Center (serving Lyme), has shared their February newsletter here. They offer programs, weekly Grab ‘n Go meals, daily Meals on Wheels, home delivered meals. Please review their website here for the most up-to date information.
For up-to-date information on testing, vaccines, and more in New Hampshire, visit www.covid19.nh.gov.
Testing. Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests. The tests are completely free. Please use this link: https://www.covidtests.gov/
There are more sources of test kits all the time. If you have extra tests that you might like to share, please contact Lyme’s Emergency Management Director, Margaret Caudill-Slosberg, at firstname.lastname@example.org or CCL by responding to this email or by calling 603-795-0603.
Vaccination. Overall, the best protection for the vast majority of us continues to be vaccination – either initial dose(s) or a booster, if you’re eligible. Seek your doctor’s advice if you have any questions about how the current recommendations affect you. At Vaccines.gov, you can search for vaccination locations and make an appointment. You can also schedule directly with retailers, such as Walmart and CVS. New sites and new practices are happening all the time. A little patience will go a long way!
Upcoming vaccination clinics:
Walk-in Clinics. Offered by State & Regional Public Health at the Old JC Penny Site – Rote 12A, near Kohl’s. Tuesdays during February from 9:30am – 2pm. Fridays during February from 12 noon – 6pm. Bring personal identification and your vaccine card, and wear a mask. Boosters for those 6 months out from primary vaccine series, age 12 years and older. Clinic will vaccinate all eligible, 5 yrs and older. Moderna, Pfizer and J&J available.
Click here for statewide NH Mobile Vaccine Clinic Dates,Times & Locations
Stay safe: Let’s all do our best to stay safe and keep others safe, while lifting spirits with healthy ways to stay active and involved. Keep your mask along, and wear it inside or when safe distancing isn’t possible.
Contact CCL if you would like help navigating the system or have questions, and we’ll do our best to get you the most up-to-date answers and help you may need. Email email@example.com or call 603-795-0603.
Extending a Warm Upper Valley Welcome
In Lyme and across the Upper Valley, many are working together to ease a very difficult transition in some wonderful families’ lives. If you would like to be involved, please contact Martha (firstname.lastname@example.org, 603-795-0603). Donations to the CCL Welcome Fund support displaced Afghans in Lyme and across the Upper Valley and new Lyme families with urgent needs. Go to cclyme.org/donate or mail a check to CCL at PO Box 127 Lyme, NH. Please note that your donation is for the Welcome Fund.
We are here. Every Day. 603-795-0603 or email@example.com.
Reach out when you or someone you care about needs a hand. If you could use information, help, a listening ear or ways to bring someone else joy, contact us at 603-795-0603 or help@CCLyme.org. Our phone is answered every day, usually in person. Our welcoming living room in the Lyme Center Academy is a terrific place to relax, read, visit with friends, or meet with a CCL team member. It is now open often during the week and by appointment. Give us a call to confirm times. Be in touch, any time. You’ll reach a friendly voice, a little (or a lot of) help, and creative, safe ways to be involved.
There is a LOT going on out there! Check out the Lyme Events Calendar (a selection of events from lots of calendars), the Valley News Calendar (especially for all kinds of arts in the area, but lots more), Lyme organizations (see several links at the end of this message) or the Aging Resource Center for ideas.
Lyme is happening!
We are pleased to pass on news shared by Lyme organizations.
- Galentine’s Day. Sunday, February 13th at 6pm. A Zoom celebration of female friendship and empowerment. If you’d like to attend, please register here or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 603-795-0603 or simply click here to join us at 6pm.
- Lyme Historians. This Saturday (2/12) Life-long Lymie, Brian Rich, will tell stories of growing up in Lyme and watching the town evolve through the years. Come to the Historians’ for this “Second Saturday” gathering for stories, hot chocolate, and good old fashioned sociability. 11:00-12:00 at the Historians’ Museum at 15 Main St. Second Saturday talks monthly from February through April. Museum open by appointment, contact: email@example.com
- Post Pond Ice Rink. Stop by to skate! Be sure to check the Listserv for updates on the rink’s status as it relates to weather & maintenance. If you missed The ice rink maintenance crew’s Listserv post, review it here. There is a lot of information on how to safely and responsibly enjoy this community amenity.
- Lyme Congregational Church. Sunday worship is at 10:30am. Bring a mask. ALL WELCOME! Go to lymecc.org for more information.
- Lyme Food Pantry. CCL hosts every Tuesday at 1pm at Lyme Congregational Church. Call ahead to let us know what you’d like, or just stop by. DELIVERY AVAILABLE.
- FREE Reiki with Stephanie Carney at the CCL office. Weekly. Wednesdays at noon. To make an appointment contact Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 603-795-2419. Learn more here.
- Happy Feet Clinic. CCL hosts three Thursdays a month at the Lyme Center Academy Building. Appointment required. Expert foot care with nurse Susan Hannah Rose. Call 802-296-1112 0r email email@example.com to schedule a time. *Please be aware, there is a waitlist at this time. We would be glad to add you, though it may be some time before we can book an appointment with Susan. We’re happy to help you explore options in the meantime.
- Those Guys. An informal Lyme service organization. Monthly breakfast meetings on the first Wednesday of the month. For more information, email Those.Guys.of.Lyme@Gmail.com.
- Lyme Library. Please visit the library website for current information on hours and programs.
*NOTE: For any event that’s not online, please be prepared with a mask and clean hands. Safety guidance, and hosts’ comfort continues to evolve.