CCL Weekly Update – July 1, 2021
Today, July 1st, marks the first day “back in residence” at the CommunityCare of Lyme space in the Lyme Center Academy Building, since the Covid interruption back in March 2020.
The Happy Feet clinic is in full swing, the AC is chugging along keeping things comfy, and laughter is part of the background noise while people are pampered.
This is the way it was … the circle is unbroken. We were gifted the opportunity to continue the clinics during the pandemic at the Lyme Congregational Church. We are very grateful for the use of the church hall and the time spent there.
The clinics have expanded despite the restrictions and through well-managed transitions. Nurse Susan Rose has remained steadfast in her mission, and more folks have joined the ranks of happier feet. People continue to be greeted and scheduled with a warm smile and welcome. The circle is strong.
Thanks to the Town of Lyme administration for looking out for our safety and welfare by restricting access to public buildings. Thanks also to them for monitoring national and state guidelines and recognizing that it’s now OK to allow activities to resume with common sense safety measures in place.
It’s good to be back home, here on the hill.
Wishing you all comfort and safety as we keep the circle moving in our life here in Lyme!
News and Notes:
There’s more to that unbroken circle!
We may have jumped in feet first, but you must know we’re working to make some bellies happy too! We are so excited to be back with one of our favorite summer gatherings: the Lawn Party Luncheon on the River in Orford on Monday, July 12th. All are welcome! Next up is a Community Meal on the Common, Wednesday, July 21st. Doesn’t it sound exciting to contribute something to a shared feast once again? We’ve heard that lots of people gained new culinary skills over the last year. We’re guessing there will be a lot to love.
The CCL Office will be open Tuesday – Thursday, beginning next week, with hours somewhat fluid through the summer. Give us a call at 795-0603, and come by to say hello! Our Hour conversation gatherings will soon be back in the cool CCL Living Room. And the Lyme Health & Wellness Fair will be on the Common on September 25th. Exciting! We hope to see you a lot, and we’d love for you to join us in preparing for the fun. See information about these events and lots more going on in the community, below.
Celebrating this month …
Parks and Recreation Month – Celebrating the beauty and bounty of parks, locally and nationally.
- Join our community-wide game to share photos and stories and identify special places, learn more by clicking here.
- Can’t travel this summer? Not to worry! There are some amazing Virtual National Park experiences like this one from Arts and Culture with Google.
If you love to explore and/or travel to local and national parks and would like to share photos for use both in print or online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Have tips and tricks for making the most of your park trip? We’d love to hear from you too!
Weekly health and well-being tips, resources, and recipes …
Monday’s Menu. Click here to read this week’s recipe, Mango Salsa, from Anna Pippin, MSHN. Anna says, “Mangoes are a delicious fruit that are incredibly good for you containing over 20 vitamins and minerals! One cup of mango has 76% of your daily vitamin C, 35% of your vitamin A, and 12% of your daily fiber. Mangoes are also a good source of folate, vitamin B6, and copper. Mangoes can be eaten in a variety of ways and added to many recipes, like in fruit smoothies, on shrimp tacos, in a stir fry, on salads, in yogurt parfait, just plain, or made into this delicious salsa!” Click here to see all the Monday’s Menu recipes.
Wellness Wednesday. Click here for this week’s post, “Eating Seasonally”, by Anna Pippin, MSHN. As we wrap up our month-long celebration of local agriculture, Anna shares nutritional information on eating local and eating seasonal. Anna also shares some local links and Farmers Markets for your consideration. See all the Wellness Wednesday posts here.
If you have a wellness tip or a healthful recipe you would like to share, please contact email@example.com.
For individuals, families, and caregivers dealing with Alzheimer’s and other dementias
The Alzheimer’s Association offers very helpful virtual education programs and support groups. Click here for the education program schedule. Click here to learn more about support groups.
Those Guys Tent Rentals!
Those Guys will once again be renting their tents for this coming outdoor season. As always, funds raised through this effort will be distributed to community organizations. Email Frank Gould (firstname.lastname@example.org) to reserve a tent. This post includes all the details.
We are here. Every day. 603-795-0603 or email@example.com.
Reach out when you or someone you care about needs a hand. If you could use information, help, a listening ear or ways to make someone else feel really good, contact us at 603-795-0603 or help@CCLyme.org. You’ll reach a friendly voice, a little (or a lot of) help, and creative, safe ways to be involved.
We partner with organizations and generous volunteers to connect you with just the right resources and opportunities to get involved, in Lyme and in nearby communities: Vaccination support. Trusted “handy” helpers for small jobs (reasonable rates or at no cost). Volunteers for deliveries, errands, technology support, and more. Food. Jenks Fund help with special “little things” to ease your mind or lift the spirits. You name it. And you can join in, in so many ways.
There is a LOT going on out there! Check out the Lyme Events Calendar (a selection of events from lots of calendars), the Valley News Calendar (especially for all kinds of arts in the area, but lots more), Lyme organizations (see several links at the end of this message) or the Aging Resource Center for ideas.
Lyme is happening!
We are pleased to pass on news shared by Lyme organizations about their summer plans. Click on the links for details …
- Bargain Barn. Open with M,W,F and Saturday hours. Clothing, bric-a-brac, household objects, linens, jewelry and accessories, among other items. Proceeds benefit area nonprofit organizations.
- Lyme Historians. Museum and Barn are open on Saturdays and Wednesdays. Special Opening of the Chesley Schoolhouse this Sunday. It will be open four summer Sundays.
- VegiCare. The season begins July 5th, with Monday drop-offs of gardeners’ bounty and love-filled produce deliveries to Lyme neighbors. Plant your extra row now!
- Lyme Gardeners. “Pardon my Garden” on Tuesdays. Weekly visits to local gardens (times vary.)
- Those Guys. Resuming monthly first Wednesday in-person meetings at Stella’s.
- Lyme Library. Now Open for regular hours with lots of programming. The Summer Reading Program is underway.
- Crossroads Academy. Weekly summer programs. New topics each week. Remember that the Pearl Dimick Fund offers summer camp scholarships. The Jenks Fund can also help.
This coming week, don’t miss:
- Sunday (7/4): INDEPENDENCE DAY
Lyme Town Band on the Lyme Common (5-6pm)
Food Trucks at Chapman’s Place (10am on)
Parade from Orford over bridge to Fairlee (11am)
Take-out Chicken BBQ on Orford Common (noon)
Pie & Ice Cream in Fairlee (noon)
Beer on Tap at Chapman’s
Fireworks at (dusk)
Town of Hartford celebration at Kilowatt Park
Events start at 7 p.m. Fireworks at Dusk.
Food Vendors, Music, Family Entertainment, Fireworks.
- Tuesday (7/6) at 1pm: Lyme Food Pantry Fresh Produce and Staples Pick-up or Delivery at Lyme Congregational Church. Farmers market style fresh produce from Willing Hands, Pete & Gerry’s Eggs, and local bakers. All who ask can receive a box of non-perishable items. Gift cards for other groceries and prepared meals are also available. Boxes of food may be ordered ahead, and if we’re asked for something special we’ll do our best to make it available. There is plenty. Contact us at 795-0603 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Date:
- Monday (7/12): Lawn Party Luncheon on the River. 12:30pm at Teccas’ home in Orford. Co-hosted by CommunityCare of Lyme and the Orford Senior Center. Lyme and Orford community members all welcome! Meal prepared by neighbors. Donations welcome. RSVP here. With questions or to offer help, email email@example.com or call 795-0603. Please share with friends and neighbors!
- Wednesday (7/21): Community Meal – Welcome Home! 5:30pm on the Lyme Common.
Come and welcome over 50 new Lyme neighbors! Everyone is invited to bring something you enjoy sharing for the meal. Lyme organizations will be there to share what they’re doing and how you might get involved, as post-pandemic plans are taking shape. It will be safe, informal, and fun! More to come. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 795-0603, if you’d like to be involved.
- Saturday (9/25): The Lyme Health & Wellness Fair, on the Common. Planning is underway! Please reach out to Shelby@cclyme.org if you’d like to learn more or be a part of it.
Check out the Lyme Events Calendar for a full listing of upcoming events selected for Lyme and neighboring communities.
Calendar information is gathered from multiple sources, including:
Lyme and other local listservs
Lyme Library Calendar
Lyme Community and Church Newsletter
Lyme School Events Listing
Town of Lyme Website
Daybreak Upper Valley daily newsletter Click to subscribe
Valley News online calendar
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Aging Resource Center
Please share any additions or edits to calendar items, so that we can include them in the online calendar.
Leave A Comment