News and Notes:
Current help requests
This week’s highlight: Help with the Thai Meal Fundraiser next Saturday, 8/6. Paphanh is pulling out all the stops! Let’s help her accomplish her goal of sharing 200 meals! That’s going to take some extra hands and feet. Can you join us? Please let us know: email@example.com or call 603-795-0603. Another way you can help is by sharing the event with friends, contacts, or on your social media! Invite your friends, family, colleagues and neighbors!
CommunityCare of Lyme Office Hours
The CCL Office and Living Room are open Monday through Thursday, 9-11am and by appointment. Please stop by to join us in our cool space for warm conversation. We’d love to see you! If you need us outside of our scheduled hours, call the Help Line (603-795-0603). If you have to leave a message, we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. For emergencies, always dial 911.
July is …
Parks & Recreation Month and Anti-Boredom Month. It’s been more than a month since the school year ended, and as the summer moves along we celebrate both Parks & Recreation Month and Anti-Boredom Month. What a combination! It’s a perfect opportunity to cross some of those Summer Bucket list items off! One great way to do this is through the Converse Free Library’s Museum and Nature Passes: explore, prevent summertime boredom, and support your local library! We’re very fortunate to live in an area with a plethora of parks – explore opportunities statewide through NH State Parks.
Considering this week’s heat wave, it is a wonderful time to explore local swimming holes, lakes, ponds and pools! What is your favorite place to cool off?
How are you fighting boredom this summer? What adventures are you and your family going on? We would love to hear from you! firstname.lastname@example.org (Pictures for sharing are highly encouraged!)
Weekly health and well-being tips, resources, and recipes
Monday’s Menu. Add a sweet seasonal flair to your salsa with this week’s Monday’s Menu post from Caitlyn Erhardt on erhardtseat.com (Jun 6, 2020).
If you have an original recipe OR a recipe you have adapted that you would love to share please email me at email@example.com Click here to see all the Monday’s Menu recipes.
Wellness Wednesday. Osher Lifelong Learning at Dartmouth has a wide variety of programs with something likely to appeal to you! Check out this week’s Wellness Wednesday post for the fall schedule.
If you have a wellness topic you would like to share about OR would love to learn more about, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. See all Wellness Wednesday posts here.
Aging in Community
Building an Aging in Community Team. Join in! As we journey together into a new and Covid-influenced world, we are in the process of re-convening and reimagining the “Aging in Place” committee which was central to the founding of CommunityCare of Lyme in 2014. Understanding that intergenerational involvement is critical, we also recognize the need to focus on the special concerns, needs – and unique capacity – as we age in our communities. Do you have ideas, or would you like to join as we define and form this collaboration of organizations and individuals? Please contact Martha Tecca by replying to this email or directly at email@example.com or 603-443-0283.
Grafton County ServiceLink the region’s aging and disability resource center. Highlighted in a previous Wellness Wednesday post, they maintain a large resource list and offer caregiver support, classes and personal help to understand Medicare, assistance completing housing applications, and more! ServiceLink is a trusted referral – a tremendous help to many neighbors. Contact the Grafton County office in Lebanon at 603-448-1558, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit their website to learn more.
Dartmouth Aging Resource Center (“ARC”, throughout the Lyme Events Calendar) has an amazing array of programs, activities, and supports. Here’s a link to this week’s ARC newsletter. You can subscribe.
The Orford Senior Center (serving Orford and Lyme) has lots going on: on-site bingo, followed by a meal! Weekly Grab ‘n Go and daily home delivered meals. Links for more information: July’s newsletter, special events, and ongoing Grafton County Senior Citizens Council activities. Contact Eileen Nickles, OSC coordinator 603-353-9107, email@example.com to learn more or to sign up for meals or activities.
Extending a warm Upper Valley welcome
The Upper Valley Neighborhood Support Team is helping with the welcome and support of Afghan evacuees and, recently, a Cuban family. There are lots of ways to join in the welcome!
Financial support is needed. Childcare needs are great, even with extraordinary babycare volunteers and friendly play dates. With driver’s licenses nearly in hand, the family and the men will both be in need of car insurance. Donations to the CCL Welcome Fund support Afghan evacuees and others displaced by challenging circumstances. Go to cclyme.org/welcome-fund to learn more or donate online; or mail a check to CCL Welcome Fund at PO Box 127 Lyme, NH 03768. Thank you!
Orford Open Air Market
Saturdays, 9am-noon on the Common in Orford. An open air market that’s an opportunity for people in the area to conveniently shop and support local small businesses that provide local produce, meats, cheese, jams, pickles, baked goods, fine crafts, and much, much more! If you’re an artisan, farmer, gardener, soap maker, honey harvester, baker, or have another product or message to share, please join in! Click here to learn more and see the growing list of participating sellers. Email Cara Dyke for an application or more information Orfordopenairmarket@gmail.com, 603-236-2899.
Those Guys Tent Rentals!
Those Guys are renting their tents for this outdoor season. As always, funds raised through this effort are distributed to community organizations. This post includes all the details. We are extremely grateful for Those Guys’ support. What a crew!
There are still many Covid cases popping up in Lyme and neighboring communities.
Vaccination – now including young children! There are two vaccine options for children as young as 6 months old. The distribution plans are still in the works, with more children’s “jabs” being offered at doctor’s offices and small clinics. Several Dartmouth Hitchcock Clinics locations will be offering COVID-19 vaccine clinics, and scheduling is available through myDH or at the DH COVID Hotline 603-650-1818. For all ages, at Vaccines.gov you can find locations and make an appointment. Dosage is different for children, so please be sure to specify the age when making an appointment.
Please stay safe: Though you may be unlikely to get very sick, if you test positive it is a pain (at best); and you’ve got a responsibility to keep others safe. You must isolate for at least 5 days, which might mean missing work and adding stress, if not sickness, to the lives of those with whom you live, work, and play.
As infection numbers fluctuate, guidance remains consistent. Simple precautions help keep us safe when we’re at risk of Covid (and other virus or bacteria) spread: Face covering, physical distance, and hand washing. Please keep a mask along to wear inside when requested or when safe distancing isn’t possible.
For up-to-date information on testing, vaccines, and more in New Hampshire, visit www.covid19.nh.gov. Note that Upper Valley locations in Vermont can also serve NH residents.
Contact CCL if you would like help navigating the system or have questions, and we’ll do our best to get you the most up-to-date answers and help you may need. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 603-795-0603.
Check out the Community Events Calendar, the Valley News Calendar, Lyme organizations (see several links at the end of this message) or the Aging Resource Center for more ideas. We are pleased to pass on news shared by Lyme organizations.
Please check the Listserv or call the event organizer for confirmation, as things are changing regularly.
- Friday, July 29. Fly By Pig Roast 5-7pm. First Baptist Church of Lyme. Drive thru only $15.00
- Saturday July 23 – Sunday July 31. WRJ Pride 2022. A week of Pride-themed events celebrating the Upper Valley’s LGBTQIA+ community. All events are at the Main Street Museum in White River Junction, unless specified as being held via Zoom.
- Saturday, July 30. Orford Open Air Market. 9am – Noon. Shop conveniently, support local.
- Saturday, July 30. Lyme Historians Porch Party. 3-5pm. “Join us to celebrate Summer with a Porch Party on July 30 from 3-5 p.m. We will provide food and beverages, you provide the laughter and stories.”
- Saturday, August 6th. Thai Dinner Fundraiser. 5-7pm on the Lyme Common. Paphanh and generous volunteers prepare an amazing meal, with proceeds to CommunityCare of Lyme and the Lyme Congregational Church. Pre-order meals now! (Pre-Order available through Friday, August 5th at Noon) Would you like to help with food or logistics? We have fun! Contact email@example.com or call 603- 795-0603.
- Saturday, August 6th & Sunday, August 7th. 45th Annual Orford Flea Market. On the Common with up to 190 vendors!
- Tuesdays at 1pm. Lyme Food Pantry at 1pm CCL hosts the distribution every Tuesday at Lyme Congregational Church. Call ahead to order, or just stop by. DELIVERY AVAILABLE.
- Tuesday afternoons. Pardon my Garden Lyme Gardeners visit local gardens. (8/2) 2 Abbe Murphy, Lyme 4-6 Click the event link for address and details about the program. Questions about Lyme Gardeners? Contact Anne Baird.
- Wednesday afternoons. Reiki with Stephanie Carney in the CCL Living Room. For a complimentary appointment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-795-2419.
- Wednesdays 11am-2pm, Saturdays 10am-1pm. Lyme Historians Exhibit Trains: Transportation, Trade, & Toys. At the Historians Museum.
- Thursdays. Bingo 9-10:30am, Grab-N-Stay (or Grab-N-Go) Meal 11am at the Orford Senior Center. To reserve a meal, call 603-353-9107 or email email@example.com. Participants must sign in and out; masks optional. Contact CCL if you could use a ride. Meal delivery is available.
- Thursdays. Happy Feet Clinic with Susan Hanna Rose, RN, at the CCL Offices in the Lyme Center Academy Building. Therapeutic foot care, including certified diabetic foot care. Regular visits are $20. Initial or extended visits are $25. The Jenks Fund can help with fees. Appointments are required. Home visits are available for those who are homebound. Please call Nurse Susan at (802) 222-4196 for information or to make or change an appointment. If you leave a message, she’ll call back.
- Summer Reading Program. Visit Converse Free Library for information on all the wonderful upcoming offerings!
Save the date!
- Saturday, September 24th. 2022 Lyme Health and Wellness Fair. A big day with lots more to come. Visit our page for the most up to date information: new community partners, demos and prizes will continue to be added! If you would like to participate in the Health & Wellness Fair, let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
All of these events require many helping hands. If you would love to volunteer,
or be a part of an event planning committee please contact email@example.com / 802-468-7776.
Thank you for your consideration!
*NOTE: For any event that’s not online, please be prepared with a mask and clean hands. Safety guidance, and hosts’ comfort continues to evolve.