Baked Tomato Casserole with Parmesan
Submitted by Anna Pippin, MSHN
This delicious side-dish is a wonderful way to enjoy your fresh from the garden tomatoes! Only a few simple ingredients go into this tasty, comforting, and warm casserole that is quick and easy to make and a great way to incorporate more veggies at the dinner table!
● 3 tbsp olive oil divided
● 3 cups diced French bread cubes About 1/2 of a loaf
● 10-12 small fresh tomatoes chopped, about 2 lbs (Roma or Plum tomatoes work best)
● 3 cloves garlic minced
● 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
● 2 teaspoons kosher salt
● 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
● 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
● 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, and garlic in a large bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
3. Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the bread cubes and toss to coat with oil. Toast the bread cubes, frequently stirring for five minutes, or until the bread is golden brown.
4. Add the tomato mixture to the bread cubes and stir to combine. Cook the tomato mixture for five minutes, or until the tomatoes are bubbly. Remove the pan from the heat and add the basil. Stir to combine.
5. Spread the tomato mixture evenly in a medium-size baking dish, which has been sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Top with a layer of thinly sliced tomatoes and parmesan cheese. Drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil evenly over the casserole.
6. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 9 g 14 %
Saturated Fat 2 g 11 %
Monounsaturated Fat 6 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 7 mg 2 %
Sodium 709 mg 30 %
Potassium 274 mg 8 %
Total Carbohydrate 27 g 9 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g 7 %
Sugars 8 g
Protein 7 g 14 %
Vitamin A 23 %
Vitamin C 1 %
Calcium 74 %
Iron 7 %
Anna is sharing a recipe from: https://www.gritsandpinecones.com/easy-baked-fresh-tomato-casserole
See it on Anna’s website at: https://www.holisticnutritioncoach.org/baked-tomato
If you have a recipe you would like to share, please reach out to email@example.com.
Manager of Program Development
CommunityCare of Lyme