Submitted by Anna Pippin, MSHN
Ratatouille is hearty and filling, yet it’s made entirely of vegetables—eggplant, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and zucchini—making it both nutritious and low in calories! This delicious dish is also high in vitamin C and A, potassium, and fiber! Try it on pasta, with salad, as a side dish, or completely on it’s own!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped (approx ¾ cup)
- ¾ cup diced bell pepper
- 2 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 small eggplant sliced
- 1 large zucchini sliced
- 3 Roma tomatoes sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cook onion, garlic, and bell pepper over medium heat, 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add diced tomatoes and seasonings and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cut vegetables to 1/8″ thickness.
- Pour half of the sauce into a 2 qt baking dish. Arrange sliced vegetables standing up on their sides over the sauce. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle with fresh basil leaves.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sauce can be replaced with marinara sauce if desired.
- Allow the sauce to simmer until thickened, the liquid from the vegetables will mix with the sauce and thin it out as it bakes.
- For firmer vegetables, reduce baking time. For softer vegetables, increase bake time.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/ratatouille-2/
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 703 mg||29 %|
|Potassium 816 mg||23 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 19 g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6 g||24 %|
|Sugars 11 g|
|Protein 3 g||7 %|
|Vitamin A||36 %|
|Vitamin C||74 %|
See it on Anna’s website at: https://www.holisticnutritioncoach.org/ratatouille
If you have a recipe you would like to share, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manager of Program Development
CommunityCare of Lyme
Leave A Comment