Sweet Potato and Bean Enchilada Casserole
Submitted by Anna Pippin, MSHN
This sweet potato and bean casserole is made with layers of salsa, beans, sweet potatoes, zucchini and onions, and lots of delicious spices! Top it off with your favorite toppings such as cilantro, avocado, more salsa. or shredded cheese. This casserole is quick and easy to put together, healthy, filling, and delicious. – Anna
● 1 large sweet potato, diced (baked until softened)
● 1 (15 oz.) can black or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
● 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
● 1 can of corn
● 1 onion, chopped
● 1 zucchini, chopped
● 1 teaspoon chili powder
● 1 teaspoon cumin
● 1 teaspoon garlic salt
● 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
● 1 cup salsa, divided
● 2-4 tortillas, depending on size (corn, flour, sprouted, gluten-free or whole wheat)
● (Optional garnish: fresh cilantro, avocado sliced, guacamole, and/or sour cream, shredded cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Sauté the onion and zucchini until soft.
3. In a large bowl, combine diced sweet potato (that has been slightly softened by baking), beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, zucchini, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, and cinnamon.
4. Spread ½ cup salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a tortilla on top, ripping into strips to get the right fit. Spoon a large layer of sweet potato/black bean mixture over tortilla strips. Spread the remaining ½ cup salsa over the sweet potato/black bean layer.
5. Add one more layer of tortillas and then add the rest of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over the tortilla layer. Sprinkle with cheese, if using.
6. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes until top is slightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Top with additional salsa, cilantro, and/or avocado, if desired.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.kimscravings.com/sweet-potato-black-bean-casserole/
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 3 g 4 %
Saturated Fat 0 g 1 %
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
Sodium 485 mg 20 %
Potassium 447 mg 13 %
Total Carbohydrate 36 g 12 %
Dietary Fiber 6 g 26 %
Sugars 11 g
Protein 8 g 15 %
Vitamin A 47 %
Vitamin C 14 %
Calcium 21 %
Iron 41 %
If you have a recipe you would like to share, please reach out to email@example.com.
Manager of Program Development
CommunityCare of Lyme