CCL Weekly Update – 7/7/22
Wishing you a life filled with love, happiness, and good health.
As we continue to welcome refugees to the Upper Valley, we seek to understand and embrace their cultures, worldviews, and religions. Our new Afghan neighbors are part of a growing local Muslim community; and this weekend ushers in one for the largest festivals of the Muslim Calendar, Eid al-Adha. There will be a regional gathering on Saturday morning at Geisel Medical School. All are welcome. Please see more details below.
One aspect of this celebration is to equally portion food amongst friends, family and those in need. We hope you find an opportunity to break bread with those you love.
Eid al-Adha Mubarak to you and yours.
News and Notes:
CommunityCare of Lyme Office Hours
The CCL Office and Living Room are open Monday through Thursday, 9-11am and by appointment. We’d love to see you!
You can always call the Help Line (603-795-0603), and if you have to leave a message, we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. For emergencies, always dial 911.
Current help requests
This week’s highlight: We would love helping hands for our upcoming Lawn Party Luncheon on Monday 7/18 and our Thai Meal Fundraiser on Saturday 8/6. Do you enjoy cooking, serving, or behind-the-scenes set up/clean up? Please let us know. We also have a neighbor who would love a hand with a light housekeeping job. If you can help in the next several days, please let us know at email@example.com or call 603-795-0603.
July is …
Parks & Recreation Month and Anti-Boredom Month. It’s been a few weeks since the school year ended, and as the summer moves along we celebrate both Parks & Recreation Month and Anti-Boredom Month. What a combination! It’s a perfect opportunity to cross some of those Summer Bucket list items off! One great way to do this is through the Converse Free Library’s Museum and Nature Passes: explore, prevent summertime boredom, and support your local library! We’re very fortunate to live in an area with a plethora of parks – explore opportunities statewide through NH State Parks.
How are you fighting boredom this summer? What adventures are you and your family going on? We would love to hear from you! firstname.lastname@example.org (Pictures for sharing are highly encouraged!)
Weekly health and well-being tips, resources, and recipes
Monday’s Menu. Love strawberries? Join me in trying a seasonal treat! This week we share Easy Fresh Strawberry Pie from Tasteofhome.com. Enjoy this week’s Monday’s Menu here.
If you have an original recipe OR a recipe you have adapted that you would love to share please email me at email@example.com Click here to see all the Monday’s Menu recipes.
Wellness Wednesday. This week we offer a wonderful local resource for you to know about and explore, ServiceLink, our local aging and disability resource center. Click here for the post.
If you have a wellness topic you would like to share about OR would love to learn more about, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. See all Wellness Wednesday posts here.
Aging in Community
Grafton County ServiceLink the region’s aging and disability resource center. Highlighted in this week’s Wellness Wednesday post, they maintain a large resource list and offer caregiver support, classes and personal help to understand Medicare, assistance completing housing applications, and more! ServiceLink is a trusted referral – a tremendous help to many neighbors. Contact the Grafton County office in Lebanon at 603-448-1558, or email email@example.com. Visit their website to learn more.
Dartmouth Aging Resource Center (“ARC”, throughout the Lyme Events Calendar) has an amazing array of programs, activities, and supports. Here’s a link to this week’s ARC newsletter. You can subscribe.
The Orford Senior Center (serving Orford and Lyme) has lots going on: on-site bingo, followed by a meal! Weekly Grab ‘n Go and daily home delivered meals. Links for more information: July’s newsletter, special events, and ongoing Grafton County Senior Citizens Council activities. Contact Eileen Nickles, OSC coordinator 603-353-9107, firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or to sign up for meals or activities.
Extending a warm Upper Valley welcome
The Upper Valley Neighborhood Support Team is helping with the welcome and support of Afghan evacuees and, recently, a Cuban family. There are lots of ways to join in the welcome!
Urgent need: a nanny for the summer, and possibly beyond. If you or someone you know would be interested in full or part-time work in Hanover with a dear Afghan family, including twin 4 month olds and a 5 year old (who will be in day camp on weekdays), please contact Martha Tecca at 603-443-0283. We’d also love to hear from babysitters/mother’s helpers who have their own transportation and some regular weekly times to share. These are paid roles. (Volunteers are also still very welcome to help out!)
Financial support is needed. Childcare needs are great, even with extraordinary babycare volunteers and friendly play dates. With driver’s licenses nearly in hand, the family and the men will both be in need of car insurance. Donations to the CCL Welcome Fund support Afghan evacuees and others displaced by challenging circumstances. Go to cclyme.org/donate or mail a check to CCL at PO Box 127 Lyme, NH 03768. Please note that your donation is for the Welcome Fund.
Get involved! Our new neighbors appreciate help with rides, opportunities to practice English, occasional meals, and simple, warm connection with neighbors. Thanks to so many who have been a part of the welcome so far. Please contact Martha Tecca (email@example.com, 603-795-0603).
NEW: Orford Open Air Market
Saturdays, 9am-noon. Beginning THIS Saturday, July 9th on the Common in Orford. An open air market that’s opportunity for people in the area to conveniently shop and support local small businesses that provide local produce, meats, cheese, jams, pickles, baked goods, fine crafts, and much, much more! If you’re an artisan, farmer, gardener, soap maker, honey harvester, baker, or have another product or message to share, please join in! Click here to learn more and see the growing list of participating sellers. Email Cara Dyke for an application or more information Orfordopenairmarket@gmail.com, 603-236-2899.
Those Guys Tent Rentals!
Those Guys are renting their tents for this outdoor season. As always, funds raised through this effort are distributed to community organizations. This post includes all the details. We are extremely grateful for Those Guys’ support. What a crew!
There are still many Covid cases popping up in Lyme and neighboring communities.
Vaccination – now including young children! There are two vaccine options for children as young as 6 months old. The distribution plans are still in the works, with more children’s “jabs” being offered at doctor’s offices and small clinics. Several Dartmouth Hitchcock Clinics locations will be offering COVID-19 vaccine clinics, and scheduling is available through myDH or at the DH COVID Hotline 603-650-1818. For all ages, at Vaccines.gov you can find locations and make an appointment. Dosage is different for children, so please be sure to specify the age when making an appointment.
Please stay safe: Though you may be unlikely to get very sick, if you test positive it is a pain (at best); and you’ve got a responsibility to keep others safe. You must isolate for at least 5 days, which might mean missing work and adding stress, if not sickness, to the lives of those with whom you live, work, and play.
As infection numbers fluctuate, guidance remains consistent. Simple precautions help keep us safe when we’re at risk of Covid (and other virus or bacteria) spread: Face covering, physical distance, and hand washing. Please keep a mask along to wear inside when requested or when safe distancing isn’t possible.
For up-to-date information on testing, vaccines, and more in New Hampshire, visit www.covid19.nh.gov. Note that Upper Valley locations in Vermont can also serve NH residents.
Contact CCL if you would like help navigating the system or have questions, and we’ll do our best to get you the most up-to-date answers and help you may need. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 603-795-0603.
Check out the Community Events Calendar, the Valley News Calendar, Lyme organizations (see several links at the end of this message) or the Aging Resource Center for more ideas. We are pleased to pass on news shared by Lyme organizations.
Please check the Listserv or call the event organizer for confirmation, as things are changing regularly.
- Saturday, July 9th. 6:45 am – 3:00 pm 41st Annual Prouty “benefiting life-saving cancer research and patient and family support services at Dartmouth and Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s Norris Cotton Cancer Center (NCCC).” (dartmouth-hitchcock.org). Huge thanks to the volunteer team hosting the Lyme SAG stop, supporting thousands of participants! If you’re cycling, walking, rowing, or golfing, have a beautiful day. You are an inspiration!
- Tuesday, July 12th. 10:30-11:30am. Our Hour Please join us for warm conversation with friends new and old. This month’s theme: summertime!
- Wednesday, July 13th. 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm Orford Bandstand Concert Series: Michael Vincent Band Enjoy Blues from a band out of Biloxi, MS & Gilford, NH.
- Thursday, July 14th. 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm Canaan St. Meetinghouse Readings. Authors’ readings, discussion, and refreshments in a beautiful setting. Promoting reading as entertainment.
- Friday, July 15th. 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm Movie Night – Converse Free Library Moana, PG, 1 hr., 47 min. From the library, “Please have a caregiver accompany children under 7 and/or pick up your child(ren) ages 7 & up by 7:30 p.m. (Nice night to grab a bite to eat without the kids!)”
- Tuesdays at 1pm. Lyme Food Pantry at 1pm CCL hosts the distribution every Tuesday at Lyme Congregational Church. Call ahead to order, or just stop by. DELIVERY AVAILABLE.
- Tuesday afternoons. Pardon my Garden Lyme Gardeners visit local gardens. This week (7/12) Barbara & Dennis Stern, Lyme 5-7. Click the event link for address and details about the program. Questions about Lyme Gardeners? Please contact Anne Baird.
- Wednesday afternoons. Reiki with Stephanie Carney in the CCL Living Room at the Lyme Center Academy Building. For a complimentary appointment, contact email@example.com or 603-795-2419.
- Wednesdays 11am-2pm, Saturdays 10am-1pm. Lyme Historians Exhibit Trains: Transportation, Trade, & Toys. At the Historians Museum.
- Thursdays. Bingo 9-10:30am, Grab-N-Stay (or Grab-N-Go) Meal 11am at the Orford Senior Center. Please call to make your reservation: 603-353-9107 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All participants must sign in and sign out; masks optional. Contact CCL if you could use a ride. Meal delivery is available.
- Summer Reading Program. Visit Converse Free Library for information on all the wonderful upcoming offerings!
Save the date!
- Monday, July 18th. Lawn Party Luncheon 11am – 1pm overlooking the River in Orford. Join CommunityCare of Lyme and the Orford Senior Center for our annual community gathering overlooking the beautiful Connecticut River. Please let us know if you’ll join, it helps tremendously with planning. Would you like to help with food or logistics? We have fun! Contact email@example.com or call 603- 795-0603.
- Saturday, August 6th. Thai Dinner fundraiser. 5-7pm on the Lyme Common. Paphanh and generous volunteers prepare an amazing meal, with proceeds to CommunityCare of Lyme and the Lyme Congregational Church. Would you like to help with food or logistics? We have fun! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 603- 795-0603.
- Saturday, September 24th. 2022 Lyme Health and Wellness Fair. A big day!! Lots more to come.
All of these events require many helping hands. If you would love to volunteer,
or be a part of an event planning committee please contact email@example.com / 802-468-7776.
Thank you for your consideration!
*NOTE: For any event that’s not online, please be prepared with a mask and clean hands. Safety guidance, and hosts’ comfort continues to evolve.
Check out the Community Calendar for a full listing of upcoming events selected for Lyme and neighboring communities.
Calendar information is gathered from multiple sources, including:
Lyme and other local listservs
Daybreak Upper Valley daily newsletter Click to subscribe
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Aging Resource Center
Please share any additions or edits to calendar items, so that we can include them in the online calendar.
Leave A Comment